A delicious source of protein!
Smoked Salmon Quiche:
Prep: 30 mins Bake: 35 mins Makes: 8 servings
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 ounces smoked salmon fillet, flaked (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese and flour. Transfer to pastry.
- In a large skillet, saute tomatoes and onion in oil just until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in salmon. Spoon over cheese mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt. Pour into pastry. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled quiche in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap quiche; reheat in oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.
Throw your apron and chef hat on and get to work!