Try this traditional dessert named after Alaska!
Baked Alaska: cake topped with 3 layers of ice cream and meringue
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment paper, and spray with cooking spray.
- Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and the egg yolks in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; whisk, on medium speed, until pale yellow and thick, about 15 minutes. Add vanilla, and fold in melted chocolate just to combine.
- Combine egg white and a pinch of salt in bowl of electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; whip, on medium speed, until frothy. Add remaining 3 tablespoons sugar; beat until stiff. Fold egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Carefully pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake until cake is set and top is dull, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Spray a 12-cup bowl with a 9-inch diameter with cooking spray; line with plastic wrap. Pack base of bowl and up the sides with chocolate ice cream; cover with plastic and press with your hands to make an even, smooth layer. Transfer to freezer and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap and form a layer of vanilla ice cream on top of the chocolate; cover with plastic wrap and press with your hands to make an even, smooth layer. Transfer to freezer and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap and form a layer of coffee ice cream on top of vanilla, leaving a small well in the center of the coffee layer; add sprinkles to well and cover with plastic wrap. Transfer to freezer and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Place cake on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Remove ice cream from freezer and remove plastic wrap; invert bowl over cake. Keep ice cream covered with plastic wrap, and return ice cream cake to freezer.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees (if not using a torch). Fill a pastry bag, fitted with a large star tip, with meringue; pipe onto ice cream in a decorative fashion, or spoon meringue over ice cream and swirl with a rubber spatula. If ice cream starts to soften, return cake to freezer for 15 minutes.
- Using torch, heat meringue until it just starts to brown. Alternatively, place in oven and bake until meringue just starts to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer to a serving platter, and serve immediately.